English place to learn and chill out

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Can't really agree with you on that one. I speak English and German pretty interchangable for the whole day and have to admit: While I like English as a language, because of its simplicity, I - as a German - prefer the direct and descriptive approach our every day words have. Languages are tools and English is usually a "connector", not a real spoken language. Most people in the world may speak English, but only a marginal part is actually raised with it as a native language from childhood on.
      I like English for its everyday use on the internet, when I work with it (infact I work more with English than German, although we speak German at work) or when I here it being spoken by native speakers in movies, radio, podcasts or television. But I think that the stereotype that resonates with German is pretty much an exaggeration that is only embraced by people that have never heard Germans speaking in a day to day dialogue. When you hear some American folks speak English in shows, they tend to raise their voice in a way that is unnatural and that I, as a German native speaker, would never do. German can feel smooth and nice, if you don't overdo it. And english on the other hand can feel pretty off-putting when words are used that are comparable to the hard pronounced German words.

Also, stating that you prefer (spoken) American over British English, is probably due to the fact that you are used to the Standard English that is spoken in English media. When you speak with folks that are from certain places with heavy dialects than you will probably say something else. Tonally I prefer the British over the American, but I usually write in American, because no one needs a "u" in "color".
      Grüße, GLaDOS

"Do you know who I am? I'm the man whose gonna burn your house down - with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that'll burn your house down!" - Cave Johnson, CEO of Aperture Science

YouTube: Max Play

Rechtschreibung und Grammatik sind eine Tugend, aber jeder macht mal Fehler...
    • GLaDOS schrieb:

American [...] British English
      Oh, well. British English is the most used spoken English, however, when you ever tried to communicate with American and their American English slang you would think "What the hell is going on here!? o.O". I remember to talked with Indian people and their "Indian English", whereas India was a colony of Great Britain, it sounds really strange.

By the way, have you ever talked with Australians and their Australian English ("British English", because Australia was a "prison" for thieves, treason and many more). That also sounds really odd.

I would think the most weired English accent I ever heard was Arabian English. 8|
      Ein Tag ohne Schnitzel, ist wie ein Tag ohne Sonne.

moderne Retrospiele 8)
    • American, British and Australian English are most likely the only "Dialects" of the English language-family that is spoken natively and I explicitly left Australian out, because in Europe it is far more likely to encounter the other varieties. However, yes, in most parts of the world, the British dialect is taught and spoken. Real British is only spoken on the British Isles which results in a very low amount of native speakers compared to the billions of people speaking it as a second or ternary language for communicating with people they don't share a native language with.

I studied with quite a lot of international students - mostly Indian - and, yes, it sounds really strange. But this is the usual case when two languages are pretty different in tone, grammar and expression. I've never really heard Arabian English, but from your reaction I conclude that it sounds even stranger than Indian English.
      Grüße, GLaDOS

"Do you know who I am? I'm the man whose gonna burn your house down - with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that'll burn your house down!" - Cave Johnson, CEO of Aperture Science

• Hohmer schrieb:

Just want to say, GLaDOS, your written and I guess, also your spoken english, is damn good. Maybe I can reach your level some day. I'm a little jealous by now.
      Well, thank you. I really appreciate your kind words. But I have to admit: It's just practice. Read it, hear it, write it and speak it everyday (not all the time, but everyday) and you will get the hang of it. Also, talking to native speakers helps a lot to get a natural flow in your language. But don't be jealous, it's really just practice. :D
      Grüße, GLaDOS

• GLaDOS schrieb:

Hohmer schrieb:

Just want to say, GLaDOS, your written and I guess, also your spoken english, is damn good. Maybe I can reach your level some day. I'm a little jealous by now.
      Well, thank you. I really appreciate your kind words. But I have to admit: It's just practice. Read it, hear it, write it and speak it everyday (not all the time, but everyday) and you will get the hang of it. Also, talking to native speakers helps a lot to get a natural flow in your language. But don't be jealous, it's really just practice. :D
      You're welcome. Yeah, it's kinda most practice. I read and hear it on a daily basis. I'm forcing myself a bit to do so by watching tv series and movies in english and play most of my games in english. But I still struggle some times with the grammer, especially with the tenses. ;) And this since I've been in school ages ago. :huh: I also keep forgetting some of the easy words from time to time, but I blame my depressions for that. :thumbsup:

The best key is repeating, my therapist told me. And that can be used by almost everything. The best way for me to learn and/or remember things is to connect it with pictures, sounds or situations. The thing that is really crazy about the english language is, that they have multiple words for one thing. That can be quite confusing sometimes.

And I also have to figure out why I am better in hearing, understanding in general and in thinking. My mouth reacts a bit slow and stuttering when I sometimes try to form a sentence. 8o X/

And to get back to the old topic for a second. I had different encounters with some americans. I've been twice in the Nevada area, Vegas to be exact, and once in the Colorado area. It was really hard for me to understand the people around Vegas and I had absolutely no problems to listen and talk around Colorado. To me, they speak a more clear english and don't swallow that much of the words or letters. 8o

Over and out, Hohmer.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Hohmer ()

• :D Well, i think you're right. From now on i will train my Written English, and maybe one day i can write and read english but then there is' the Endboss Konversation from Mouth to Mouth i fear that day because spoken English is hard to understand for me, especially when they speaken with a accent or something like that.

But enough of that. did someone here playing the Game 42 With the creepy little Girl which steals Cars all the time? If not watch this:

Watch out this Video is in a language called German or something!
      Ich mag Döner und Katzen, gerne auch in einem.
    • Maybe you should also start hearing and watching english videos, movies or podcasts? It helps to get into the speech with its pronunciation and the phonetics, which might ease the mouth to mouth conversation. Everyone has different understanding and learning methods, so the most important thing is, not to put to much pressure onto yourself. I sometimes have to get this in my own mind, when I'm losing my sight.

By the way, really strange video. 8o The good old days of the beginning of youtube. :)

What' with all the other folks in this forum? This thread could need a little bit more participation. ;)
    • Peacemaker zockt schrieb:

Maybe I don't understand everything at first, but reading the subtitles distracts me too much.
      In my case, this even applies to German movies. If there is text, my brain wants to read it. Also, you learn the flow of a language better when it is actually spoken. To learn English, I would always go for movies I already know and then watch them without subtitles.
      Grüße, GLaDOS

• For all the people who are having trouble with British English I can recommend the Netflix series "Peaky Blinders'. Since the dialogues mostly consist of short sentences and swear words it is easy to understand what's going on and really fun to watch.